During Kim Kardashian’s first pregnancy, she was known for wearing high heels despite suffering from extreme edema, or swollen feet. However, it seems she has learned her lesson and will opt for more comfortable shoes during her current pregnancy. The reality star recently posted to photo sharing app Instagram featuring her husband’s new sneaker line stating, “So happy I ran back inside to grab these! Lifesaver on these long flights! Most comfy shoes in the world!”
A supportive and comfortable shoe is the best choice for feet during pregnancy. If you have any concerns contact Dr. Rhonda Nelson of The Podiatry Care Center. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
What foot problems can arise during pregnancy?
One problem that can occur is over-pronation, which occurs when the arch of the foot flattens and tends to roll inward. This can cause pain and discomfort in your heels while you’re walking or even just standing up, trying to support your baby.
Another problem is edema, or swelling in the extremities. This often affects the feet during pregnancy, but tends to occur in the later stages.
How can I keep my feet healthy during pregnancy?
· Wearing orthotics can provide extra support for the feet and help distribute weight evenly
· Minimize the amount of time spent walking barefoot
· Wear shoes with good arch support
· Wear shoes that allow for good circulation to the feet
· Elevate feet if you experience swelling
· Massage your feet
· Get regular, light exercise, such as walking, to promote blood circulation to the feet
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Glenn Dale, MD. We offer the newest diagnostic tools and technology to treat your foot and ankle needs.